"An architect is a technical philosopher. It may be everything, but a philosopher is a constant." [Vittoriano Vigano']
Vittoriano Viganò was born in Milan on December 14th 1919.The School of Architecture, Urban Planning, Construction Engineering and the Design School of the Politecnico di Milano with the participation of the Vittoriano Viganò Milano Archive (AVVM), curated by the daughters Vanessa Viganò and Viviana Viganò, begins with this exhibition a series of events to pay homage to the work of an authentic master of 20th-century architecture and design, first student and then professor of our University.
This first appointment, curated by Giampiero Bosoni and Andrea Gritti, proposed the reorganization of "A as Architecture Vittoriano Viganò", inaugurated in these same spaces, on May 21st, 1991.On this occasion, the panels created for that famous exhibition by curators Sergio Crotti, Ernesto d'Alfonso, and Fabrizio Zanni, assisted in archival research by the Viganò studio, for the Bob Noorda graphics, for the installation by Achille Castiglioni and Cino Zucchi, they are arranged in a new configuration which, interpreting the original one, also shows the space of the "Project Gallery".
The revisitation of the 1991 exhibition is completed by the presentation of original documents relating to 9 projects, both realized and not, which at the time were not selected, but which today seem to be of great interest to retrospectively evaluate the work of Viganò, from the beginning to the maturity: the Sports and Leisure Center of the Salsomaggiore Spa (1948-1949, with F. Clerici); the project for a building in Piazza Missori (1951); the Competition for the passenger building of the Milan Central Station (1953); the projects for the Miramare Cinema-Theater in Tripoli (1953-1954) and for a residential building in Marseille (1953-1956); the office and residential complex in via Amedei-via Fieno in Milan (1960-1961); the unfinished "Cà della Vigna", in Redavalle-Broni (1962-1964); the projects for the environmental restructuring of the Faccanoni quarry in Opicinia in Trieste (1977-1978) and for the house "Le Terrazze" in Edolo (1978).
Three filmed documents complete the exhibition. The first, edited in 1991 by Viganò himself and Federico Brunetti, traces the original path of "A come Architettura"; the second, published in 1992 by Gabriella Belotti and Federico Brunetti, with the Viganò studio, investigates "The languages of the project"; the third, edited by Emilio Faroldi, reproduces the intervention of Viganò at the international conference "Progettare Salsomaggiore", in 1993.
In this first celebratory event, some specimens of the lighting fixtures, produced in the 1950s for Arteluce, are exhibited, which currently the company ASTEP is re-editing with the AVVM, to pay homage to the activity of Viganò designer. The exhibits: organized with unpublished and original images stored at the AVVM.
"A as Architecture: a retrospective" ended on Monday, December 16th, 2019.
In 2020 (date to be defined), Professor Paolo Portoghesi will held a Lectio Magistralis dedicated to the work of the Milanese master, of whom he was a friend and colleague.
In 2020, further in-depth analysis and critical readings will complement an exhibition dedicated to the design work of Viganò in the field of interiors, design, and fittings.
Copyright of the Archive Vittoriano Viganò Milano (AVVM) on all the documents of Vittoriano Viganò exhibited in the exhibition.
Copyright Archivio Vittoriano Viganò Milano (AVVM), Viviana Viganò, Marco Voltini, fotografia di architettura ©2019 Federico Brunetti
* The lectio of Professor Paolo Portoghesi has been canceled.
** Every image and content of the exhibition are copyrighted by the Vittoriano Viganò Milano Archive (AVVM); for any information or request, please contact the Archive directly.